Friday, August 10, 2012

Terrace - Circuits EP

Circuits EP cover art
http://terrace.bandcamp.com/album/circuits-ep

Ooooohoho it seems I've managed to stumble onto a dance EP. "Circute EP" is just an incredible little EP, filled with lovely fun party beats, and a certain mid-80's vibe. Stack onto that a grand voice with enough reverb a chilled out playing field, and fun dance synth and you have something that just sort of moves you. Terrace, you've got a special spot right there in my brain where I put music that makes me genuinely excited to dance around to it. Are all the songs of a generally "happy" mindset? No, but it makes a connection while infecting your body to bob around in a rhythmic manner.

Starting with "Chances", the song has an almost dark song, making me think it would be perfect if, say, Donny Darko had a dance montage. It's more than move-able, the lyrics are more or less "carpe diem", and that makes me want to party. It follows this fun dark dance-y feel straight into "Blinder". Straight out of the gate "Blinder" sets up a feel of ambiance, so you relax a bit. The song takes up a bit of dance with an eerie darkness making me feel as though if I do relax I should worry. Then it breaks in with a fun dance-y beat, and an action-y breakdown that kind of keeps me on the dancing path. So far I've been strong, but I don't know how long that will last.

Terrace keeps me in for the last half of the album, I just feel obliged to do the whole thing and I don't see why not to. "The Moon Between Us" makes me think of going down the interstate at 4 a.m. Everyone's asleep except you, and there's nothing but road and street lamp, and all that you wanted in the world was to see her again. She's miles upon miles away and you don't really know how to get there, but you know she's smiling on you. Take that, add a pinch  of asymmetrical disco beat challenging you to find the rhythm, and you have this song. It's sad sounding, I've honestly had a little trouble discerning most of the lyrics, they seem to be mostly in the form of sorrow and howls. But it still manages to be fun, and not necessarily hopeless. It's pretty, and pretty dance-y, and I'm diggin' it. Finally "Trying to Believe" sets in a very stabby synth tone. Again there's the disco beat, however rather than feeling incredibly dark it's instead only slightly dark. With brighter instruments, and a nice new wave-y square synth bass line, this piece of dance goodness might be my personal favorite.

All the songs are really fun, and the underlying theme seems to be happier than I honestly made it seem. It's really one of my favorite new albums to listen to. Between reminding me of the Cure, and reminding me of Cut Copy, it's just gorgeous. If anyone has a taste for movin', groovin', for shakin', for bakin', this album is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment